Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Final Weekend

It's over and done.  I survived the month at BGH.  From what I've been told, it's a very challenging month in many respects.  The patients are more complicated, the attendings are more demanding, the system is annoying.  At ECMC, you make one phone call, maybe two to get a patient admitted to the hospital.  Today, one patient took 5 phone calls to finally secure a bed.

I've worked the last three days, and I chose not to write until the end.  No real specific patients to comment about, but just some general observations.  What I really missed about ECMC were the stories.  Patients were just more animated and colorful.  They had very interesting back stories.

At BGH, I felt like one of my favorite TV doctors:  House.  Just when my faith in humanity would start to return, I would get scammed by a drug-seeking LOL NAD who looked like they should be sitting on someone's porch knitting a sweater with a pitcher and glass of lemonade at her side.  "Everybody lies." 

There's also a certain dissatisfaction in not getting an answer to a patient's medical condition.  At ECMC, most patients had a problem/issue that could be resolved; i.e. I got hit by a car and now I need surgery.  Here at BGH, there's not always an end-point.  We admit patients for further work-up.  Many times I looked up a patient's admission to find out what happened to them or what the real diagnosis was.

But, overall it's been a good experience.  I feel a lot stronger in certain areas, and I know the areas I need to develop and work on.  For now, I will relish in the next month and playing with the ultrasound machine.  Also, in getting up later and coming home earlier...

Flat Adrian Update:

given the more free time I will be having, we'll have some time for more adventures...

No comments: