Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Night Life

It's been a real pain trying to adjust to the night shift.  I didn't write about my first night shift Monday night since I got in Tuesday morning and went right to bed.  Then evening came, and I was trying to stay awake and failed, which didn't matter since I had to get up early this morning to go to Wednesday Grand Rounds.  Suffice it to say I was lazy then tired, then it just didn't seem relevant.

I think I only saw about 6 patients Monday night, and they were all follow-ups or issues that should have been handled in their PMD's office during regular hours.  However, I was told by one patient who came in with 3 days of fevers that the earliest she could get into her PMD's office would be in 2 weeks.  She had a pretty good case of strep throat, and I didn't feel bad about writing her a script for pain meds and antibiotics.  Having been through it before, I could understand how miserable she must be feeling.

We cleared the E.D. by about 1:30 in the morning, and I didn't see my next patient until 5 in the morning when I was just about to walk out the door.  I stayed to write them up and get things going for my attending and then drove home.  I have to admit.  I am a morning person.  I love bringing in the new day.  One of my favorite times is being on the road just as the sun is rising.  There's something so perfect in that moment.  The world is suddenly full of possibilities.  Things to do, things to see, adventures to start.

Of course, I then come home and crash into the bed for about 10 hours of sleep.  But the thought is there... You just can't concentrate buried under warm blankets, piled on by 25 pounds of warm kitties...


I'll stay up most of tonight/this morning.  Keep the internal clock set to "Vampire."  We'll see what my next shift has to bring as the weekend fun begins...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just when you get used to the night shift, you'll be back on days. I'm sure it is a different group of people that come in during the night as opposed to the day. I know what you mean about sharing the bed with kitties; no cats here, but one bed-hog corgi.

take care of yourself

betty

Anonymous said...

I love your cats.  I ca hear them purring from hee...lol!
Jeanie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes