Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Doctor's Day - Redo



So, officially March 30th is Doctor's Day.  This morning, BGH celebrated Doctor's Day with a breakfast.  Since residents normally start the day with stale bagels, cold coffee or lukewarm soda, the thought of a nice freshly made omelet or Belgian waffle with fresh fruit topping appealed to all of us.  So, before our morning reading group, we ran to the cafeteria to grab something hot.  Along with breakfast, the hospital higher-ups gave us a gift of a small coffee thermos with the hospital logo engraved on it.  I like it.

And, essentially, that was the major event of the day.  We had our normal Grand Rounds Wednesday with the addition of Journal Club.  Once a month, a topic is chosen along with a series of journal articles, and we read then discuss the relevant issues.  Normally, we focus on current medical studies related to Emergency Medicine.  Today's focus was on domestic violence and how we, incorporating the local EMS system, can more effectively screen patients.  We talked about the pros, cons, logistics, and pondered the potentials for the future.

Yes, very heady stuff for a Wednesday morning.  I had no clinical duties today, and actually have tomorrow off.  I work a 4 day weekend (Friday - Monday) on the night shift, so I probably will drop a quick note the next 2 days along with the de rigueur Seal Photo of the day to keep reminding you that the hunt continues.  I will post the events of my next shift on Saturday morning after I get home, and before I fall asleep for the day as I switch to vampire mode, yet again.

Till then....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no, back to nights soon? that was nice how the hospital honored the doctors!! my husband was at a hospital last week close to wineries and each doctor got a bottle of wine :)

glad you have a day off tomorrow; enjoy it!

betty

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm!  Warm omlettes and coffee to boot.  Hope your doctor's day was a good one, it sounds like it.  One day I'll tell you my personal experience with domestic violence...  De ;)

Anonymous said...

Makes a difference indeed to have a proper cooked breakfast for a change. Hope you won't be rushed off your feet over the weekend.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip/

Anonymous said...

Enjoy  your day off Veronica.  The weekend will be around soon enough.  I wouldn't appreciate changes in shifts.. However, I am a night owl and and early riser so I wouldn't mind working nights.  Then that would mean I would have to sleep thorough the day...not good.
Glad you caught some nourishment at breakfast time.  That's the best meal of the day.    I love my porridge...well... I am Scottish.   Lol!
Take care.
Jeanie  xxxx