Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Making a Fashion Statement



Since it's Grand Rounds Wednesday and not a clinical day for me, I thought I would take a few minutes to highlight the photographer for the majority of the seal pictures I have been using to make the graphics on my blog the last several days.

Nigel Barker is better known as a judge on "America's Next Top Model" reality show, but he has been a fashion photographer for many years after having been a model himself. This year, the Humane Society of America named him as a spokesman for the Protect Seals 2008 Campaign. The pictures I have used come from his website Nigel Barker and the ones that he shot which are used on the HSUS.org website.

He traveled to Newfoundland to visit the harp seal nursery and took amazing photos, then returned a couple of weeks later to catch the "molting" fluffy white pups. Unfortunately, his last entry chronicles the return trip several days later when he captured images of the hunt.

As an animal lover, and junior photographer, I hope there will come a day when trips by boat to Newfoundland and the Gulf of St. Lawrence carry eco-tourists instead of hunters, because I certainly will be one of those that signs up to see what must be an awe-inspiring sight.

Tomorrow, it's back the ED for my next block of shifts. The schedule will be more physiologically tolerable, a pseudo "swing shift" from the early afternoon to late evening. We'll see what the day/night brings.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting about that photographer, I had not heard of him before

the afternoon shift could prove to be busy, I would imagine, moms trying to figure out if they should bring their kids in to be seen, doctor offices not wanting to stay late so refer to ER etc.  I'm sure it will keep you on your toes

betty

Anonymous said...

Quote: 'I hope there will come a day when trips by boat to Newfoundland and the Gulf of St. Lawrence carry eco-tourists instead of hunters...'
I do too Veronica.  I do too!
Jeanie xx