Monday, July 14, 2008

One Can Always Dream



This is what I came into this morning. I think it lasted for about 15 minutes.

And then, one of the early patients was this:

Look around the middle of the top third of the film, and you will see a bright long object... that, folks, is a dental drill. This 5 year old was in the dentist's chair when the drill bit "fell off," and he swallowed it. Luckily, this should pass within the next couple of days. I gave them all the warnings in case it did not pass easily.

By the time I left, this is what it looked like:

And, this was the waiting room:


As you can see, a veritable smorgasbord of ailments. Again, we were so busy and had so many providers that around 5 p.m. we had a "constipated board;" no one was moving in or moving out.

I am about midway through the rotation so I thought I would take the time to get a few rants off my chest:

onto the soapbox:

- people are not an endangered species, please stop having children. I sometimes think birth control should be federally mandated. When you come in and tell me about your 5 children at home, and how you can't afford a bottle of $2.50 Tylenol for your child's fever for which you want me to write you a prescription so that Medicare (read, us taxpayers) can pay for it, please don't also tell me about your smoking/drinking/marijuana habit, because I can't see justifying $7 a day for a pack of cigarettes, or whatever you pay for the carton, when your child is sick.

- oh, and please don't tell me you don't "smoke inside because of the kids" because we know you do. If I can smell the smoke on the baby stroller, someone's been smoking around it, or it spends a lot of time out on the front/back/basement or wherever you say it is you go to smoke.

- missing your period for 2 months after unprotected sex, and already having had 2 children should make you think that you might be pregnant; which means that if you're considering having another child you might want to stop drinking/smoking/and doing drugs. There are a lot of important developmental changes happening to your baby during this time. And, don't use the excuse that you're only 19, and it was "your birthday." Start taking some responsibility. I can only wonder what's going on with your other 2 children if you're freely admitting to me that you "like to party" and drink and smoke marijuana daily.

- I think I have said this before, but please don't bring your entourage with you into the E.D. I don't need to meet your sister, sister's baby, your neighbor, neighbor's baby, your baby's daddy, his mama, etc. Oh, and bringing your 11 year old nephew with you for a "female exam" and talking about your sexual partners isn't appropriate, and I will be asking him to step out of the room, so don't be mad when I do.

- All I cansay is that we've been seeing way too much of CPS (Child ProtectiveServices) lately. We had a horrendous case of abuse where the childwas taken away from an abusive mother, put into an abusive foster home,transferred to a second abusive home, and adopted into her currentsituation where she was being brought in for possible abuse. She's11. I can't even begin to imagine her life or what will become ofher. Sigh.


Off the soapbox...

As for my vegetarian pledge: Like I said, I can't go completely vegan. I had a little cream in my coffee drink this morning. Cereal with soy milk. Lunch was a veggie burger with cheese and mayo (not vegan as it's made out of eggs) and veggie chips. I then went to the local upscale Wegman's supermarket to make a salad. I added a number of their "vegetarian" sides to my spinach and greens. Lot of garbanzos and beans; barley and peppers. There was even a tofu curry mix that was very tasty. I bought a number of "veggie" frozen entrees, some rice and soy milks and a bunch of fresh fruit for snacks.

I am still recovering from the weekend of gluttony so I felt hungry, but I know the stomach will shrink down and adjust to the smaller portions. Here's where it becomes the mind over matter, but I know it gets easier every day. At least, that what I will remind myself.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sending you strength my new found friend... I know I'd be going off regularly and probably be fired......   we need you... and so do they.  thanks!
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Common sense is sometimes difficult to locate, Veronica. Wishing you strength!

Anonymous said...

Understanding your rants, lol.  De ;)