Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A lighter shade of grey...

O.k. So I changed rotations and now I am back at ECMC doing a month of ultrasound and telemedicine.  I spent a few hours yesterday with the ultrasound tech getting oriented to the machine and learning what my responsibilities are going to be for the next 3 weeks.  It's a month's rotation, but I have vacation for the last week, so it's just 3 weeks in length.

Today I came in and started doing ultrasounds on patients.  I think it will get a lot easier once I figure out what I am seeing on the screen.  Chest x-rays, no problem.  I remember when I first started, I could never find the carina (that's where your trachea or windpipe divides into a right and a left branch).  Then one day it was like those magic 3D puzzles.  My eyes focused and boom, there it was.

CT scans were the same thing.  Something that looks like a liver, there's the kidneys and then loops and squiggles of bowel.  An inflamed appendix you say?  Sure.. uh huh.  Again, one day, pow, there it was.  Now I am facing the challenge of reading the different shades of grey with wavy lines and snow in between.  Luckily, the patients have been very nice and VERY patient as I try to get in my multiple views.

Since, for the most part, doing an ultrasound on someone when they come into the E.D. for, say, a urinary tract infection, isn't usually warranted, we develop a pitch to explain why we would appreciate scanning their heart, belly and pelvis.  I sometimes feel like a late night info-mercial announcer.  "Today, and today only we're offering free ultrasounds to screen for such things as kidney, gallbladder and bladder stones."

I don't really mind.  I'm working banker's hours and not having to think too much.  Which lets me focus on other things like getting my apartment "mom ready" since she will be coming out to stay with me for 3 weeks, and taking "Flat Adrian" around town.

Here's an update on his adventures:  Today the Mercy Flight crew was nice enough to allow Flat Adrian to visit the helicopter and even sit inside.  Pilot Matt let him sit in the captain's seat and even took a picture with him.  If the video works, you can even see Flat Adrian waving goodbye as the crew takes off on another run.


No comments: