Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tele-whatacine?

I talked yesterday about ultrasounds, and I thought I would talk a little about telemedicine today since it's the other half of my rotation.  I think I might have mentioned before that we're connected to the entire New York prison system.  We have an office with a computer, video monitor and speaker phone, and there's a similar set-up on the opposite end.  For the most part we "see" patients, and the local jail infirmary R.N. does a physical exam as we deem necessary.

Sometimes, the patients/inmates need something simple done.  Sometimes they need to be referred to a local community E.D. for a more formal work-up.  Sometimes they come to us.  We had another pica patient today from one of the local facilities.  Pica, as you may remember, is a condition when you eat "non-food" items.  In this case, he ate his plastic wristband name tag.  And, I found out, it wasn't his first time doing so.  He'll get scanned, scoped, the item will be removed, and he'll be returned to prison until the next time he finds something new to eat.

Nothing much else.  Here's a few of my scans from the last couple of days:

a side view of the heart


a view of the liver and right kidney (center blob with 2 white blobs inside)


if you look closely you can see this 5 month old baby.  it's head is the light gray circle on the right and if you got up leftwards, that's actually it's spine curving toward its butt

Flat Adrian and I visited the Anchor Bar today.  I wrote about it on an earlier post. It's historically, the original home of the "Buffalo Wing" and there's a great article about it in the New Yorker http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1980/08/25/1980_08_25_082_TNY_CARDS_000331411

We had some tasty wings, and several of my colleagues lifted a pint or two in celebration.



No comments: