Monday, November 19, 2007

My Flu Shot Worked... I got the flu

I am all about prevention.  I get a flu shot every year since I am surrounded by sick people at work.  I was feeling especially vulnerable over the last 2 weeks at BGH because it seemed like every other person was coming in with "shortness of breath," "cough and cold symptoms," "muscle aches and fever," etc.  I started work at ECMC on US/telemedicine and made it my mission to get a flu shot which I did on Tuesday.

And it worked... I got the Flu on Thursday.  My tonsils swelled to the size of walnuts, and for about 30 minutes I considered going into the E.D. as it began to feel as though my throat was slowing swelling shut.  I hung in there.  Friday morning I slept in and woke up with two hours to spare before having to leave for the airport.  After taking 3 and a half hours to make a 60 mile drive... all because it took an hour to cross the border and another hour in traffic... I had 30 minutes to make it to my flight... oh yeah, I had to clear U.S. customs before being allowed to leave Canada, I almost literally walked onto my plane.

Just about the time my cold tablets fizzled out, we were in turbulence over the Colorado Rockies.  For about 20 minutes we were like a martini:  shaken not stirred.  That's when the GI portion of the flu decided to hit, and I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom.  Luckily, the line of people who had waited out all the bouncing before being able to get up were nice enough to let me through.  The universal "hand over the mouth" distress sign probably went a long way as well.

I was able to sleep when I got to my mother's.  Then we ran around all day shopping for important things you can only find in Southern California... like a decent pair of shoes at Nordstrom's.  I slept again and prepared for the long ride back to Buffalo;  mom in tow.  That trip went a whole lot better.  My sinuses held during the flight, and my cough didn't hit until we were nearing the U.S./Canada border.  But, I was on home turf again and felt I could handle anything.  This morning I slept in and have been resting, drinking O.J. and tons of anti-oxidants.  Tomorrow I will see how long I last at work.  I have lots of scans to rack in.

For those that don't know my background:  I have been on and off planes since the age of 5.  When I was a contractor in the Wash. D.C. area during my brief period of  having a "real life" between college and pre-med, I flew back and forth across country 8 times in the span of 3 months.  After this, I was flying from where I lived in Mexico City to the U.S. every 2 - 3 months for a year, mostly to renew my tourist visa which is only good for 90 days in Mexico.  I know how to travel.  I can work my way through just about any airport.  Even before 9/11, I had been through some of the toughest security systems:  Frankfurt, Athens, Dallas-Fort Worth (I think they thought I was some kind of drug runner because I had a bunch of entry/exit stamps from Mexico City to various U.S. border cities... I still think I was about 3 seconds away from being taken into a back room for a "closer inspection.)

So, just some thoughts for the "occasional tourist:"
 - think minimalism.  Yes, you may look awesome in your 3 inch heels with the multichain belt, baubles and bangles, hoops and rings, but all that "bling" is gonna ring when you go through security.  When you take 5 minutes to take off all of your accessories to get down to the t-shirt and painted on jeans you're wearing, you're delaying the rest of us.  Especially when you keep insisting some piece of jewelry isn't going to ring and you make several passes across the metal detector before finally agreeing you need to remove it.  Then you're insulted that they want to take you out of line for a "pat down" and wand scan because you're still ringing.  Which also leads to...
- wear a camisole or non-underwire bra.  My mother and I learned this on our trip to Vancouver.  Unless you're planning on joining the Mile High Club mid-flight, no one's going to notice your Plain Jane cotton best, so leave the metal-braced fancy ones at home or be prepared to be wand scanned.
- if you live in that super secret part of the world with no television, newspapers, or other people who have traveled before, I still think it's a good idea to read the 100 or so warning signs at the airport about bringing liquids past security.  If you somehow manage to not do so, and completely ignore the security officials at the little table with examples of what you can and cannot bring with you, don't decide to start sucking on your bottled water right before you go through the scanner and then spend 2 minutes arguing with the security people about how you didn't know you couldn't bring it you.  They're going to make you throw it away/leave it behind.  If you want to save money, bring an empty clear hiking bottle and fill it up at the drinking fountain once you get past security.
- when you get on the plane, it's rude to leave your bags at the front of the plane when your seat is at the back of the plane.  Yeah, it is.  That means that those of us sitting in the front have no place to put our bags so we have to put our bags toward the back of the plane and then "swim against the wave" when people are trying to get out of the plane... and, I will glare at you during the flight each time you come to get something out of your bag, oh yes I will.
- oh, and as much as I like Queen and, occasionally, Outkast, I am sure the 80 year old grandmother sitting next to me would rather listen to something a little less jarring to her nerves and delicate sensibilities.
- I think they should make a rule that cell phones aren't allowed to be on when in the plane at all.  It's bad enough I am hearing about your problems with your co-worker while waiting in the terminal, then I have to hear about it during the long walk down the jetway, while sitting waiting for everyone to board and then again the minute the plane touches down when you call to check your messages which includes any updates regarding this co-worker which occurred during the duration of the flight.  I think second to that is the "I just landed so I have to reconnect and make plans with every person I know between the time that I land and the time we arrive at the gate."

I think that's enough of my travel diatribe for now... Flat Adrian didn't make the trip because during a flu-induced mental lapse, I forgot him at home.  No worries.  Mom is here for 3 weeks, and I promised to show her, and him, around town.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff V! I laugh my ass off every time I stop by!