Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Neither Rain, nor Snow, nor...

I almost thought I wasn't going to make it into work this morning.  Going on the Thruway I hit a wall of snow and at certain points I couldn't even see the road ahead and had to drive about 10 mph.  I know a couple of times I felt the "sleeper strip" on the right side of the road when I actually thought I was right in the middle of the road.

  The voices you hear are from "Fox and Friends" on the Fox News Channel which I listen to on my satellite radio.

But, I made it.  My attending must have only a few minutes behind me, because when I got to the hospital the overnight attending told me the day attending was going to be about 30 minutes late.  Since we'd come through the same patch of snow, she must have assumed like I did that it was that way all the way down, but it wasn't.  She arrived about 5 minutes after I did.

Today was more of an "Urgent Care" kind of day.  Little nicks and scratches.  Nothing really urgent.  We had 3 patients that were very sick requiring admission, but for the most part everything else was bread and butter ED stuff.  At least I got a tutorial of sorts on orthopedic injuries, and I got to keep my sewing skills up to date placing many sutures.

In order:

Finger lac from opening the plastic wrap around a memory stick with scissors:  clean and steri strip

Hand lac from a slipping off the end of a wrench:  clean and suture and feel just a little glad at the pain I inflicted to this real jerk of a patient, just a little glad...

Abdominal pain:  didn't actually find anything wrong with him except I had to dig his one remaining testicle out of his groin.  And, that wasn't the source of his pain.  Go figure.  We called him Abdominal Pain of Unknown Etiology (cause) and told him to come back if he had any more pain

Wrist strain:  glove got caught in a drill at work and twisted his hand inside the glove, ouch!

Minor shoulder separation:  fell on his shoulder after getting tackled while playing football.  This is why there should be snow on the ground to cushion the fall.  Ground is frozen up nice and hard at this time of year.

Pneumonia:  this was one of the admissions.  Couldn't keep her oxygenation above 90% with minimal oxygen, so she gets admitted.

Wound check:  a guy I saw 2 days ago came in to have his abscess drainage wound checked.  I gave him the ok to go on with his life and not have to return to the E.D.

Wrist strain:  a teen and something called "Animal Ball" which you play indoors and involves dribbling, volleyballs and a soccer net.  My patient was the goalie who managed to block the shot but injured his wrist in the process.

Face lac:  college cheerleader got hit in the face by the elbow of one of her teammates.  Her biggest concern was that she couldn't make the trip to compete in the National Cheerleading Competition.  You might have seen it on ESPN2.  I have.  They're not a big name school, but they compete nonetheless.  She'll be able to go.  Just hope the stitching job won't be too noticeable.  I put in the smallest sutures I could find:  6-0.

Finger lac:  couldn't sew this one.  A cook cut the edge of the tip of his finger right off.  Nothing to put back together, and he thought the missing piece might be mixed in with the bacon he was cutting for a salad.  Don't worry, you won't be finding his finger in your Caesar Salad.  The whole batch of bacon got thrown out.

That's it.  Tomorrow is Grand Rounds so meetings all morning and no work for me.  Which is a good thing as I have a TON of things to do...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, some weather! that is one thing I don't miss from living in Montana; loved the snow, just not the blizzard conditions at times.

I love how you run down your patients; a good day it seems; hope the lady with pneumonia does okay

betty

Anonymous said...

not sure where you were going... but I left about 8ish.. at my house it was like that ... couldn't see across the street.  By the time I got to the main line it was clear and streets were just wet.  Bizarre!  Seeing how it's only a couple miles.  I ended up with maybe 8 inches... downtown virtually none.
d