Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Constipated Board

For the most part, I don't mind emergency medicine and the fact that I see patients for a limited amount of time.  I do what I hope is the best I can for them, and they move on.  As part of my training, we actually do follow up on some of our patients to see how they've done.  Most of the time, however, we hear about certain patients from our colleagues on different services.
I found out this morning that one of the patients from the MVC yesterday died after surgery.  Their injuries were just too extensive.   So unfortunate because it seemed like a very nice family.  My patient was admitted with multiple rib fractures.  Physically, they will be probably recover in time.  The heartache of losing their spouse will probably take a lot longer, if ever.

I officially saw a total of 3 patients during my 7 hour shift today (this doesn't count my involvement in several traumas and answering the telemedicine video link which I'll talk more about in a couple of months when I formally do the rotation).  Why such a short shift you might ask...?  We have meetings every Wednesday morning, so our shifts start just a little later than usual.  However, the main reason was the "constipated big white board."  Medicine service was overwhelmed, and patients that need to be admitted cannot go upstairs without admission orders.  Since the Medicine service was behind, it pushed us behind.  No patients going out of the E.D. means no patients coming into the E.D.  Which meant, no new patients to see until my old ones cleared out.

However, traumas stop for no one....
So, some random thoughts on today...

Spurting open wound in the arm caused by your also-homeless, been-living-in-a-storage-unit-with-no-running-water girlfriend during an alcohol-induced domestic argument with a "Dollar Store steak knife" = go directly to O.R.

Brand new horse labeled as "skittish" should not be ridden until you get to know each other better, and when you're wearing something more protective than a tank top, shorts and sandals.  Attempt to ride = pelvic fracture after you get thrown and kicked.
Being knocked unconscious after a football tackle and then not knowing where you are for several minutes = head CT.  I don't care if you "feel a ton better now" and just want to get back to your cell and lie down.  Think of it as a "get out of jail for a little while so you don't risk dying from a massive head bleed" card courtesy of me.
You, your spouse, and 50 cats living in feces and urine for months on end = dirty litter box smelling patients confined in the E.D. until they get admitted to the floor






No comments: