Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Funny Valentine

                                      
So, the programs are printed.  The napkin rings are finished.  All the favors have been made.  I have a small stack of boxes ready to be shipped to my matron of honor's.  I burned two CD's with wedding music that the DJ did not have, including music for my ceremony.  What else do I need to do...???

A year ago I got engaged.  We delayed setting a date until I knew if I was going to stay in Minneapolis or move to a new city.  When I was accepted into the program here in Buffalo, we set the date based on when I would be getting vacation.  I told my fiance he had a choice:  we could get married soon, or he would have to wait 3 years until I finished residency.  You can guess what he chose.

My Matron of Honour and I worried we'd never get everything done in just 4 months.  Ludicrous, you need at least 6, right?  There were times I wish I had 6, and others where a weekend in Hawaii would have been just fine.  I knew one thing, I was not getting married at the "Chapel O' Love" in Vegas. (You have to have watched "Back to the Future, Part II" to understand.)  But, we managed to secure a nice spot by the ocean and a small intimate setting.  As another movie reference, I did not want "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding."

Anyway.  Here I am:  thinking about the past, and pondering the future.  Did I make the right decisions then?  Am I making the right decisions now?  I have no doubts about getting married.  I have no doubts about the man I am marrying.  Did I ever imagine it would be like this?  No, not really.  But then, I've always taken "the road less traveled," and I have to admit I've had a very interesting life so far.  I've seen and done things most people can't even begin to imagine. 

This is the sort of thing I would have written on my 40th birthday.  But of course, I didn't know where I was going to be then.  I didn't know I would be here now... a week before one of the biggest events in my life... sitting, alone with the kitties, wondering... what's next?

Happy Valentine's Day!!!  Hope you're hugging your teddy bear close tonight!  I'll be with mine very soon...!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!  It's getting so close.. hang in there :)
d

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!! you got the things done and on time to mail them out!!

I bet you are excited to be with your "teddy bear" soon :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Sorry not to have been around for a few days.  I have had my granchildren for half term.  
Happy,belated, Valentine's Day to you too.
You have organised everything splendidly.  Congratulations!
Ask a busy person to do a job for you and it wil get done.
My neice won a competition last year thorugh work to go to Las Vagas.  She had been married in church six years previously but thought it would be nice to have the 'Elvis' look-alike marry her and her husband again.  It was videod for all of us, back home, to see.
Her husband was the more bashful....bless him.   lol!
From what I can glean from your writings you are going to have a perfect day.
I hope the sun shines and the blessings for a happy life together flow from all your family and guests.

Hugs
Jeanie  xxx