Friday, February 8, 2008

Practice Makes Persons More Comfortable

 

Ok, so today was my last day with the pedis (pronounced pee-dees, meaning pediatric patients).  I got in 6 more intubations, three of which were on the teeny pedis:  A 1, 4 and 6 month old.  My other 3 were on a 3 year old who swallowed a penny that got stuck, and two 15 year olds, one with appendicitis and the other having some hardware removed from a childhood surgery.

The first 3 surgeries were on the infants.  Considering my experience yesterday, I was on hightened apprehension when I was first handed the "blade."  I had already been "breathing" for the patient by keeping an open airway and ventilating them with an  airbag.  As I grabbed the blade and gently eased the head back, I had the attending talking me through the steps:  "head back, sweep the tongue, find the epiglottis, lift to the corner, visualize the cords, insert the tube."

I didn't initially see the vocal cords, but then I lifted (with the attending holding my hand and showing me how much pressure I could exert) again and there were the cords.  I slid the endotracheal tube in, put the ventilator back on, and the attending listened and confirmed placement.  "Whew!"  I think that's when I finally took a breath again.

We discussed the fine tuning of my technique, and the next two intubations went more smoothly.  One had some slightly difficult anatomy, and I initially intubated the esophagus, but that was quickly remedied, and I successfully intubated the trachea on the second pass.  The 4 year old was much easier since I had done all the 3 - 6 year olds on Monday.  Of course, the 15 year olds were the easiest since they were more like adults, and I had already done a number of those in the Emergency Room.

So, now I have the weekend free.  My dress arrived safely in Southern California, and there's one less thing to worry about.  Now if I can just get those darn programs and favors finished...

As for the pic today:  on D's (This and that, and hockey) advice, I invested in Paint Shop Pro and am playing with the program.  We'll see what I can come up with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed you found the time to get involved in Paint Shop! It is a fun hobby from what I hear and see others make with it!

so glad your dress is in Southern California! email me with your wedding date and what city you are getting married in; I promise I won't stalk you. I hope we have nice weather for it; the past few days have been great!

betty

Anonymous said...

I have Paint Shop 9 and have yet to have a little play with it.  If you can do this sort of work already then I must away soon and have a wee shotty at playing with it.  These phot tags look wonderful!
I love the shoes....sigh!  I wish I had a lovely pair like those.  I wouldhave them as ornaments just to look at.  They are so beautiful.
so glad  you got more practice in with your intubations.  You will feel more comfortable in any given situation.  
Does it matter which 'corner' the epiglottis gets lifted to?
Well done you!
Have a lovely weekend.   Make sure you get out and about too for a change of scenery.
Love
Jeanie xx