Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tubes is Tubes

Well, another day of anesthesia and of vaccination screening.

I lucked out and ended up with the same anesthesiology attending.  He guided me through two successful intubations.  Good for me.

Of interest, there's a hockey player that was injured at a game a few days ago with a potentially life-threatening injury to his neck.  The attending who performed the surgery with the attending that has been shown on television was performing surgery on one of my patients today.  Of course, everyone was asking him about the surgery, so I was able to hear about the case.  It's amazing how often the story is so different when you read it in the news, and then you hear the back story from those that were actually there.

I was a surgery resident, and I can remember many times reading about a trauma that would come into our ED in the Twin Cities in Minnesota.  I remember talking to the patient and getting their story, hearing the policeman's or EMT's story, and then reading the printed version in the paper.  I can understand how it can be so tempting to email or call reporters when you have a story because sometimes they just don't get all the facts just right, and it can drive you crazy when you know the whole story.  HIPPA aside, people must have their privacy.

I also participated, for the the third time, in the mass vaccination against the Hep A exposure in one of our local towns.  I think I heard they've vaccinated almost 8,000 people so far.  It's been quite the learning experience from many standpoints.  Given that I am interested, not so much in public health, as mass casualty and disaster planning, it's been interesting to see how something like this is coordinated.

In training, you hear about setting up the Command Center, there's Information Officers, there's triage, there's flow and safety control, etc.  It's very different to see everyone in action and the issues with coordinating so many different groups.  As I said, an invaluable learning experience.

Ok, time for bed.  Grand Rounds Wednesday and no clinical work for me which is good because of spending time in the Vaccination clinics I haven't had much time for wedding things, and I have to find a dress for the rehearsal.  How many days left...??   =o

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bet you will enjoy the change in your schedule tomorrow; its getting there :) I bet you are excited!!

betty

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you had seen Zednik.. heard he is in his own room and might be released by the weekend.  Glad he is ok.... that was scary and brought so many memories of Malarchuk about 20 years ago.  :::shiver:::