Monday, February 4, 2008

Piglet and Friends

So, today was my first day of anesthesia, and I am doing a week at the Children's Hospital so I can be comfortable intubating small children.  Today I was with a great anesthesiologist who took the time and patience to teach me a lot about intubating (putting breathing tubes in) children.  And, after showing me the first time, he let me do the intubations for the surgeries.  A total of five!

I think I mentioned earlier that I took an intubation workshop when I was a surgery resident.  Aside from mannequins and models, we actually intubated small animals with comparable anatomy.  And, what do you know, they were right.  Pedi's throats are very different, and the small piglet I did to represent toddler age children was very similar.  Plus, I had the added bonus of intubating children in the ENT (ear, nose and throat) room, most of whom were having their tonsils taken out.  So, not only did I have a different anatomy to deal with but usually really big obstructive tonsils.

One issue I did have was playing vampire.  I don't know what it is.  When I was a third year medical student on my anesthesiology rotation, I had the same problem.  I think I went through 4 or 5 patients before I got my first IV running.  And, these were veterans, all with huge ropey veins!  But, then one day I got it right and made most of my IV lines with no problem.

Today I was 2 for 6.  The anesthesiologist would give me two tries and then do it himself.  But, he was very patient and didn't let me give up or stop trying.  During the case, once the patient was under and settled, he would take me through the steps, demonstrate with larger needles on their own wrapping, and tell me how to do better the next time.

So, all in all a good day.  I won't see this anesthesiologist again until Thursday.  Hopefully, everyone else will be as friendly.  We'll see as the week goes along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seems like a good first day and the doctor you are working with sounds like a bor teacher! so neat; hope the others follow in his path

and best of all, you are back to working days!!!!!!!

betty

Anonymous said...

Well done!  It sounded interesting but a 'wee bit' stressful.  I remember the size of my daughter's tonsils prior to them coming out.  I'm sure you must have felt a bit tentative at first pushing them out the way on a real live child.   How lucky to have such a good teacher who put you at your ease.  Good luck with the rest of your week.
Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

You'll get there yet, practice makes perfect