Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's All Harasho...



It's a little like working at the United Nations.

My chief resident - Syrian
My 3rd year resident - Ukrainian
My 2nd year resident - Nigerian
My OB intern - Indian

And the patient I delivered today - from Belarus.  Oh yeah, Harasho means "good!"

Yesterday was Grand Rounds Wednesday, so nothing very exciting other than shooting the pic I entered for the Community photo challenge while I was out running errands in the afternoon.  http://journals.aol.com/mariebm56/aol-community-photo-challenge/#Entry646
and http://journals.aol.com/vbonalesmd/MyPaperCuts/entries/2008/03/19/community-photo-challenge---wearing-of-the-green/1073
to see my entry

Anyway...

Today was a short day.  We only had two deliveries during the day, my Russian lady and another.  I had one admission that came late in the afternoon, and another patient I evaluated that fell.  I sent her to the E.D. to get x-rays of her hands after we checked her baby out (it was fine.)

I don't know what was in the air today, but all of the residents were surly.  And, like I said, given the multinational personalities making up the service, sometimes a simple comment can be taken the wrong way due to cultural differences.  Next thing you know it's WW III L&D style.

I can think of about 3 or 4 arguments that erupted throughout the course of the day.  Mostly, I think, because everyone is feeling stressed and overworked and in desperate need of a vacation, which, luckily, this particular set of residents is headed for next week.  I mostly try to stay out of the thick of things, although I did step in briefly to defend the OB intern when she was blamed for something that happened on a patient I admitted.  The flare-up was quickly dampened, and no one brought it up for the rest of the day.

I was trying to explain to both the intern and one of my medical students, that if there's something I've learned at this point in my life, it's that sometimes you just have to be, um, diplomatic about certain things.  Be the bigger man, let the other person have their rant, and in the end you'll be the one respected and admired for not losing your cool and getting emotional.  Venting is for the gym... or the local bar.  We all have our ways of letting off steam.

As for me, tomorrow starts the final Weekend of Hell.  I will be on 24 hour call Friday and Sunday.  Then it's one more week, and I am done... downstairs to the Pediatric Emergency Room at WCHOB.  But, that's in the future... there's still this weekend to get through.


Baby Counter:
Births witnessed:  9
Babies delivered:  9
C-sections witnessed:  3


Tags: , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there a full moon?  Oh we'd never know with the cloud cover.  ARGH!!!  Will spring get here?
d

Anonymous said...

Pediatrics next!! that should be fun; I like your advice to get through the stress/strain of working with so many different people; hope the weekend brings some good memories to write about and share in your journal, busy as it may be

betty

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of babies. I can't even imagine all you have to do. My daughter is on a break right now, but is going for nursing. Right now she works at a nursing home here in my town. She is on call this weekend. She works from 630am Saturday until 7pm Sunday night and I have her son all weekend so you know I will be beat.
I use to work in Peds a long time ago in an army hospital on base in Texas and I loved it, but we moved and I had to leave my job.
Take care, Chrissie
http://journals.aol.com/nay0114/nays-cache/
http://journals.aol.com/nay0114/just-for-fun/

Anonymous said...

Your advice to the others definitely comes with experience and proves itself in all walks of life.
Your tally of babies is certainly rising.  As for the United Nations...you are going to be multi-lingual before you know it.   Lol!
Going now to look at your photo entry.  I know it will be 'Harasho'.
May the weekend fly past for you.

Happy Easter.
Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

Have a good Easter, hope it's not too hectic for you