Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Random Thoughts I



Not much to write about today.  It's Grand Rounds Wednesday so I spent my morning, after sleeping in to a glorious 6 a.m., in meetings.  Then the "girls" and I went out to lunch.  There are 12 residents in the first year, and 5 of us are female. 
Our schedules are so crazy that we rarely have time to meet together.  It was nice to spend time socializing outside of the hospital and work environment.

Since I had no clinical duties, I thought I would post some random thoughts.  You may or may not agree with me, but it's my blog and you can voice your opinions in the comments section.  I do read them and will respond.

Here goes:

#1 (on the soapbox) - For the next several weeks I will be posting a photo of a baby harp seal as the hunting season begins.  If you notice the link on the side of my page, it connects to the Humane Societies' website.  It encourages you to not buy Canadian seafood and to support the many businesses (such as my favorite Legal Seafoods in Boston) who won't buy Canadian seafood.  There's a great list of businesses (such as Publix) which continue to buy Canadian seafood so you can consciously, and financially, boycott these as well.  Humane Society writer Rebecca Aldworth will be posting daily blogs during the hunt Live From the Ice and my pictures will be from that website.  I know there's an international crowd on AOL journals, so spread the word.  Create a link or Permalink to my blog.  Stop the killing of animals in the name of fashion!

#2 - My last several posts have been somewhat depressing as the newness of delivering babies fades, and I get into some of the sadder cases that are also a part of life on L&D.  Today while catching up on some of my websites and links, I came across an article at MSNBC.com related to prenatal hospice care.  It describes a new trend in assisting families in dealing with the impending death of a baby when a prenatal ultrasound shows a fatal lesion.  There was also a side video bar about photographers that take photos during the pregnancy and after the birth to help preserve those precious memories. Prenatal Death

#3 - I've been on a chocolate bender recently.  My family has a predisposition to Diabetes, and since I was raised in my grandmother's house, we never had any sweets around (or salt, high blood pressure too).  So I actually do not really have much of a sweet tooth.  Every once in a while, though, I crave some chocolate.  And, a bender for me is having more than a piece of chocolate a month.  Over the last 3 days, since Easter Sunday, I've had, well, several.  Chocolate & peanut butter combos are probably my favorites, followed by Lindt milk chocolate.  The best chocolate I've ever had is a Swiss chocolate by Teuscher's.  They have a Champagne Truffle that is awesome.  If you're ever near Rockefeller Center, the store is on the right side of the promenade when you're facing the ice rink and main building.  Or, as in most things, you can order online: Teuscher's

#4 - My "children" are turning five this month.  The consensus is that they are in their "cat year equivalents" somewhere in their mid-30's.  Both my kitties are lean and still frisky.  I anticipate adopting #3 hopefully within the next year, so we'll keep them fresh and lively.  I am in the process of working on their birthday scrapbook pages, so look for those on my other blog within the next couple of days.  I have the photos, I just need to lay them out.

Here's a preview of their birthday portraits:
  

Two days left in OB.  So far, I am tied with the most babies delivered at 15.  We'll see what the next 2 days bring!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Alaska when I was a kid.  That was before it was a state and hunting was gruesome to say the least.  Well, I won't get in to what I witnessed and had nightmares about for yrs.  I didn'tknow Publix bought Canadian fish.  I shop ther occasionally.  I usually buy fresh catches in the area where I live.  
Sounds lIke you've had a terrific day off.  Go Babies! What is your next rotation?

hugs,  Bethe    

Anonymous said...

agree with you about the seals;

so glad they are doing things like prenatal hospice care; it is a sad time for all; glad people are addressing the needs;

me too with chocolate; don't know what it is, can't seem to get enough of it;

your kitties are so cute; wishing them a happy birthday!!

go girl!! you just got a few more days to catch those babies!!!

betty