Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snow Day

Ok, so I am not making fun of Buffalo, NY.  Well, maybe just a little. 

You have to realize that I lived for two years in Minnesota.  This is a photo from one bright Minnesota morning last year when I got into my car to go to work:



As you can see, it was a bit chilly.  And, this is without the wind chill.  The car started on the first crank, and I didn't have one of them new-fangled engine heaters on either.  My Jeep is built to serve, no matter the weather.  That and heated seats.  Instant coziness before the heater kicks in.  Get in the car and go to work - no matter the weather.

I am bringing this up because today in Buffalo we had a "Snow Day."  I got a page around 8 p.m. last night saying that due to predicted weather Grand Rounds were canceled.  So, I had the day off.  There was a freeze last night, some snow fell.  This morning there were a few spin outs, but nothing real bad.  Some people did lose electricity, and my apartment lights flickered on and off a couple of times.  But still.

So I played on the computer.  Ran some errands.  Paid some bills.  Got my self ready for the next several days since I will be on 24 hour call tomorrow, then home, then back on 24 hour call on Saturday.  Have to make sure the children have enough to eat, and I don't have to worry about anything at home.

Until tomorrow... we'll see if I can increase my numbers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure why you'd have off... but will say I went out this morning at 7:30 and started my car.... let it run 20 minutes and still had a difficult time getting the inch+ ice off my car .......  I did have work!  Lots of spin outs and lots of folks stuck at intersections..........
lol
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

I call that having a "freebie" LOL; got to get some things done and maybe sleep in even; that is too funny :)

having lived in Montana for 8 years, there were no such things as snow days; the kid always hoped there would be one, but the school secretary said in her 18 years of being at the school; school was only closed twice; once for 4 feet of snow in 24 hours (thank God we weren't there) and the other time when there was a lot of ash in the air from when Mt. St. Helen exploded.

we had block heaters on our cars in Montana; call us wimps :)

but we didn't have heated seats; that I would have liked to have

betty

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they were looking for an excuse to cancel Grand Rounds, but who is complaining!  Stay warm!!!  De ;)

Anonymous said...

That is very nippy indeed, -19F. Minus 28C. Glad you got the day off...