Saturday, March 29, 2008

Of Volcanos and Plume Clouds

7328 Seals Killed So Far

I am attending a conference this weekend that has to do with GeoHazard research.  Basically, it's a group of scientists who study such things as volcano activity, create risk assessment models, study geophysical mechanics and then make predictions about where to put or not put structures to help prevent mass catastrophes and casualties.  Given my interest in EMS and disaster planning, I decided to attend.

Today was rather dull for me since the science was very much over my head.  I have never liked statistics or statistical analysis, and this morning was chock full of word like "vector analysis," "Georgian logic," etc.  I knew I was out of my league when one of the speaker talking about volcanoes misspoke and stated that it was the "pliocene" age instead of the "pleistocene" and everyone laughed.  I had to come home and look it up.  Anyway, tomorrow should be more interesting with the focus being the management of disasters in small communities which is much more relevant to my work.

Nothing much else this weekend.  I stopped by the medical bookstore and picked up a few books.  A bunch of cleaning to do tomorrow and then preparations for the week.  I have my peds ED orientation on Monday morning followed by a meeting.  My first actual shift is on Tuesday morning.

Until then....

I've added a new entry to the AOL Community Photo Challenge on my other blog: Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoy your day .....   maybe with any luck spring will find its way here soon
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Did you do HOUR 60 this evening?

~Bethe  

Anonymous said...

I'm with you; once the statistics begin, its hard to follow along some things

enjoy your day tomorrow

betty

Anonymous said...

What a shame you wasted your time when you could have used it more fully elsewhere.
I am more a hands on person than a listener to 'gobbledegook'.  Lol!

Jeanie xx