Monday, March 31, 2008

The Calm Before the Storm

Ok, so tomorrow I start my first of several months in the Pediatric ED.  We are supposed to do two rotations in our first year, and one in our second.  Since I started late (in September compared to everyone else starting in July), I am barely doing my first rotation.  I will do my second in July as my first rotation of my second year during which I will still unofficially be a first year.  And, then I will do my second year rotation in January, great, right in the middle of cold and flu/RSV season.

I really don't know what to expect.  Most of the other interns I have talked to have enjoyed their peds rotation.  At least one of my colleagues will be on-service with me during that time, so I will have someone to commiserate with.  And, I have my honeymoon to look forward to, so it's really going to be only about 3 weeks, 12 shifts in total.

I guess my sense of dread is that, to be honest, I really don't like kids very much.  Now, before you pull out the tar and feathers, I was an only child.  I never babysat for anyone, and I really was a very mature kid.  My "children" as you know are my cats.  And, while I enjoyed my OB rotation, it wasn't for "all the darling babies," it was to learn the skills necessary should I ever be faced with a "precipitous" delivery.  So, now you know.  I am an evil, non-child-loving physician about to be set loose on the children of Buffalo.

Of course, that just means that the kids will be more attracted to me, as is usually the case.  We'll see...  I dreaded the L&D ward, and that went over well.  I'll let you know tomorrow...

Today's Seal Picture:
17,408 seals killed to date:



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL if my son was little I'd bring him to you :)~  And yes he'd most likely adore you
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

you know, I didn't like kids either when I was growing up; didn't babysit much, didn't have younger brothers or sisters, etc; not sure how it happened, but now I love kids and it can't be because of my two kids because they were not those "easy to love" kids. I got to think about this now, LOL

it will be fun to read what goes on in the Peds ED

and your honeymoon to look forward to!! that's a nice thing!!

betty

Anonymous said...

I come from a family of seven with a home whose door was always open to neighbours and their kids.  I instinctively love and like children so I am your opposite.  I see them as magical little sponges who absorb copious amounts of information, good and bad, who still somehow generally turn out to be very unique individuals.  They are all little story books in the making. I don't think you will have any problems with them on your rounds. They can sometimes disarm you when you are not looking.  So just watch out!  Lol!
Looking forward to your pediatric rotation and seeing it from your point of view.
Hugs
Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

I think you'll do just fine - professionalism and intuition make a great mix :-)