Monday, March 24, 2008

Thank You, Easter Bunny, Bawk! Bawk!

 
So I was right.  The waning moon meant a "waning" in the amount of patients that we saw last night.  Given that it was also Easter Sunday, we figured most people would want to stay home.  As predicted, we had the overnight patients (all of 3) to deal with in the morning, and then no more patients until after dinner.  A, somewhat steady Easter Parade of sorts that kept us busy until around 1 in the morning.

My first delivery, and the only vaginal delivery of the day, was around 1600.  I delivered her with one of the private attendings who then allowed me to repair her episiotomy.  The first actual suturing I've done other than teaching the medical students on sponges all rotation.  I was almost so excited my hands were shaking... not really, even on a caffeine, double shot expresso, I haven't slept all night and now I have to do one more surgery, morning while in residency my hands didn't shake.  But, metaphorically, I really was that excited.

For the most part, we hung around and talked about some of the more bizarre and sad cases that had come in over the previous 24 hours.  When we signed out the morning before, Saturday, we had 2 patients on the board that we knew were delivering terminal fetuses.  One was a young mother that started to have contractions due to a premature rupture of membranes at 19 weeks.  There was nothing to do but expect to deliver a dead or soon to be dead fetus.  The second was a patient with a recent ultrasound showing a fetal anomaly called holoprosencephaly - essentially, the fetus had no brain development.  I think I wrote once before about a patient that was a "brainstem with a body."  In that case, the skull was developed, there was just nothing inside.  In the case of this baby, there was a very small, misshapen head with the classical features. Picture

Of course, that didn't include the 20 year old who delivered a Trisomy 21 or "Down's Syndrome" baby.  According to the attending, the baby was found to have some cardiac anomalies as well, and it's going to be a long hard road for that young family.  We were left with a woman who had also had an IUFD (intrauterine fetal demise) from a rupture of the placenta.  She came in bleeding profusely, and she was being prepared for the OR when we took sign-out at 8 in the morning.  She and another patient at 31 weeks were the other 2 patients to deliver Sunday morning.

So the rest of the time... kinda boring.  We had organized a pot-luck of sorts and spent a lot of time sneaking back to the staff lounge to eat ham, fruit salad, potato salad and all kinds of chocolate goodies throughout the day.  Then, as I said, around dinner time, the next round of patients started to arrive.

We always have patients who are "past dates" meaning they didn't deliver by their due date who come in to be induced.  So, there is almost always an admission or two in the evenings.  They get their drug of choice depending on exam or fetal status and then labor through the night with the plan being they most likely will deliver the next morning.  I admitted one patient like that.  I then had another who came in that had broken her waters and had some cervical changes, so she was admitted.

We had an assortment of outpatients (pregnant patients not in labor but having some medical issue or other) ranging from an MVC (motor vehicle collision), to nausea and vomiting, to diarrhea from drinking someone's bowel prep without knowing.  (A bowel prep is given to thoroughly clean the bowels prior to a colonoscopy or surgery.  It induces massive watery diarrhea.)  There were also several patients to be evaluated in the emergency department, but since I didn't have to do that, the other intern was busier than I was.

And, that's it.  I went to bed around 1:30 and woke up to my alarm at 5:30.  Rounds, home, a number of errands and then an appointment to do my taxes... finally.  I work tomorrow, Thursday and Friday and that's it!  Until then.... we'll see if I can add a few more to the total.
Baby Counter:
Births witnessed:  9
Babies delivered:  14
C-sections witnessed:  3

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter has trisomy 21 and was born with AV canal and tetralogy of Fallot . They gave her a 50/50 chance of survival and lots of other doom and gloom at her birth.
I was very happy with a new baby and a girl at that, but still the medical staff acted as though they had just witnessed a death instead of the birth of new life!!

She's had rough beginning, no doubt about that. But she LOVES her life and when I became tired of the battle, she would always inspire us with her sheer joy of life.
I can very honestly say that she has been the very best thing to ever happen to me.
She is pure heaven and the only negative surrounding her is the attitudes of those we must deal with day in and out.

When you attend the birth of a child with DS, please be aware of your own attitudes towards that child. The few medical staff who did approach us with positive attitudes were a welcome oasis in the desert of such erroneous comments as " she is too retarded to learn to breastfeed" ( she breast fed exclusively) "she will never walk or talk" ha! She scaled a very difficult rock climb a couple of summers ago, almost killed ME!!! ;-) "she'll never know who you are" , not only can she rattle off all the names of her 6 sibs, 3 nephews and Grandma, she can read and SPELL them at 8 years old. I could  go on and on...my point is, you, nor any one else can predict the future of ANY child and telling parents the POSITIVE aspects of having a child with DS goes a long ,long way towards acceptance.

Here are some videos of  our 'poor retarded child' whom the first cardiologist we saw after birth asked us if we just wanted to let her DIE...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp8ebmTZAts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rql0k6CPKlM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LpCGP4MVGI

I don't know how you welcomed this new life, you may have been positive, but your comment 'about a long hard road' led me to believe that you weren't. :-)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I didn't attend the delivery, and I can't comment on my colleagues.  I thought about the feelings of others when I posted the blog.  The "long hard road" I alluded to is dealing with everyone else's misperceptions about Trisomy 21.  I have personally worked with many families and have heard nothing except for the pure joy and selflessness that these children have brought into their lives.  The expectations for them should be the same as for anyone else.  

However, we face a certain reality here in an inner city hospital where most of our patients are foreign, uninsured, or on government assistance:  it was a young mother, first time pregnant, no anticipation or previous knowledge about the possibility, and the baby has significant medical problems.  Even if the baby was not Trisomy 21, there are a lot of challenges with just the cardiac anomalies.

Your daughter is beautiful, and I know you are blessed by having her in your life.  I hope this family is as lucky.  Thank you for your comment... Veronica

Anonymous said...

You've had a busy time. In the real world, you don't get to see all the perfect birth situations. Makes us just realize that having a healthy baby and surviving childbirth is a real miracle.
You know it was a full moon during this time.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

The human body is such a complicated piece of kit that it's a miracle most children are born, without problems and fit and well

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I missed this entry of your's; that was sad with the young mom and the Down syndrome baby; you don't usually expect them with a mom that young but my SIL was 22 when she and my brother had their first baby, also a Down baby (he's doing great at age 28 now)

like I said in my last comment; time to move on to another rotation :)

betty