Thursday, December 20, 2007

Breaking in the Boots

A day off and one of my work colleagues and I went to the slopes.  There's a local ski resort - Holiday Valley - which wasn't too far a drive.  I had a new set of snowboard boots, and I was glad to break them in and not have anything broken on me by the end of the day.

I have to admit, I've been snowboarding for about 10 years now, and I haven't really progressed above advanced beginner.  Unfortunately, every year I feel a bit older than the rest of the boarders, and it really shows in my carefulness making my way down the hill.  It also doesn't help that I when I first started we only would go for a week about once a year, and the following year you'd pretty much have to start over.

Last year, though, I was able to make it about 5 or six times during the season, and I definitely was better able to kind of "pick up and go" when we got to the resort today.  Now if I can keep my feet from cramping I should do ok.  I know for sure, I want to go back again soon.  There weren't a lot of people, and there's something to be said for being on top of a large hill enjoying the silence.

Ah, silence.  I'll slip back to this happy place I am sure tomorrow when I am on-call overnight again.  And, I am sure my muscles will give me a constant reminder throughout the day, as if I needed any...

CCU Countdown:Days left until the end of the rotation: 17Actual number of days I will be working during that time: 15Days left until painful attending returns:  10
Number of days until my next 24 hours off: 3

Number of short call shifts remaining:  2
Number of long call shifts remaining: 2
Number of patients: 0!
Number of evil Internal Medicine residents: 3 - I am throwing the cardiology fellow in there because he makes us go look at angios and echos every day, and I had my fill of squiggly lines last month on ultrasound
Number of evil CCU nurses*:  3
(*names have been changed to protect the innocent, mainly me... :D)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you had fun... you had a perfect day!
d