Thursday, December 13, 2007

Heart and Snow

We had a taste of winter today as about 6 inches of snow fell within a couple of hours today.  And then, the snow just kept falling.  With the snow come the coronaries...  it's funny.  I went to medical school in Wisconsin, and the classic presentation taught to us regarding heart attacks started with "50 year old male comes into the E.D. complaining of chest pain while out shoveling snow."

While I was inside for my 12 hour "short call" snow fell like crazy.  The first pic is the view from the 13th floor at downtown and then looking eastward.  This was around 3:30 p.m. when most of the major part of the storm had already passed (it started around 0930) and most of the streets had been plowed.

Of course, plowed streets means people out there shoveling... men shoveling... first major storm of the season... and I got three admissions from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.  Three heart attacks... three men most likely needing to go to the cath lab tomorrow to be ballooned, stented or worse, needing bypass surgery.  "I was out there shoveling and got this pain, so I got out the snowblower and the pain got worse... right here in the middle of my chest."

I am on my "long call" tomorrow, so we'll see what the after-affects of the storm will be...
CCU Countdown:
Days left until the end of the rotation: 24
Actual number of days I will be working during that time: 21
Number of days until my next 24 hours off: 6
Days left until current painful attending leaves:   3
Number of short call shifts remaining:  3
Number of long call shifts remaining: 3
Number of evil nurses in the ICU: 1  - should I feel bad I was actually happy when the nurse that was so rude to me in the morning came back this afternoon for her overnight shift and had been in a fender bender on her way home which ruined her day...?  I do believe in Karma, but there was a very small part of me that smiled... just a little bit... a really really little bit... like this little... :)

No comments: